ScienceAlert hosts a large and diverse audience on its Facebook page, and while we love offering up this space for lively debate and discussion on the latest science news, it's our responsibility to ensure that it remains a safe and respectful environment.
For this reason, ScienceAlert retains editorial control over all content posted to our Facebook page. In Australia, publishers can be held liable for defamatory comments posted on their Facebook pages. To protect ourselves from legal action, ScienceAlert will broadly exercise our right to turn off the commenting feature on any of our Facebook posts without warning, at any time, at our discretion.
Additionally, comments will be removed at our discretion if they are deemed to be:
- defamatory, or otherwise unlawful, content that violates laws regarding harassment, discrimination, privacy or contempt
- intentionally false or misleading
- abusive, offensive, insulting, or aggressive. Name-calling, sexism and racial vilification will not be tolerated under any circumstances
- off-topic, willfully ignorant or repetitious to the point where a single commenter is deliberately dominating the conversation
- compromising the privacy of oneself, other contributors, or of ScienceAlert staff, or containing inappropriate personal information
- an infringement of copyright or other intellectual property rights
- seeking to endorse commercial products or activities or to solicit business
- deliberate provocation of other community members
Any violation of the above can result in accounts being banned immediately.
© ScienceAlert US LLC. 30 N Gould St, Ste R, Sheridan, WY 82801.